We all know that once January hits, it's easy to get caught up in the new year's spirit and let our guard down. Answering emails, answering texts, and being a fabulous overachieving person can sometimes make us keep up with everything while neglecting other aspects of our lives. It is important to take care of yourself in your off hours so that you can start 2023 ready for whatever life throws at you. Below are 12 self care tips to help build your emotional fortitude:
1) Say no more often than necessary - Saying yes will ultimately lead to burnout. If you've experienced running a marathon before, you know that it isn't easy to take a breather during the race. You want to be out there and do your best. If you're overextending yourself, though, saying no won't be easy to do. Avoid letting this happen by building in breaks throughout your day and by starting to say no more often than necessary.
2) Check in with yourself - This can include how you're feeling or what you're doing as an individual. You can do this each night before going to bed and/or each morning when getting up. Ask yourself if what you've been doing is right for you or if it's time for a change of pace. Make sure that you're happy with yourself and do the things that make you the happiest. If what you're doing makes you feel good, then it's right for you.
3) Avoid comparing yourself to others – Your path is not going to be the same as others, so stop comparing your journey to theirs. You are going to have different challenges, and your strength shouldn't depend on how well someone else can complete a task. Instead of worrying about others and their success, focus on making progress on your own terms and accomplishing what matters most to you. Everybody has different ways of looking at the world, so don't think that only one way is correct.
4) Keep your diet balanced - A diet with mostly fruits and vegetables won't be complete if it doesn't contain whole grains, protein-rich foods and dairy items. Also, protein is essential for a healthy body and mind. Getting enough protein in the diet will help you feel better and perform better at work. You can get all the protein you need by eating white meat, beans and soy products or fish.
5) Avoid sugar - Try to stay away from processed foods full of sugar or artificial sweeteners like aspartame. It's best to not even eat it if possible, because it's full of chemicals that disrupt the body's chemistry and cause weight gain and other health problems. The changes you make to your diet should be enough to address these issues without going overboard with food additives. Instead of trying to cut out everything that entails artificial ingredients, try choosing organic foods whenever possible.
6) Avoid screen time - Try not to check your phone or computer so much. Letting your mind wander when you have nothing to focus on can make you forget what you were doing, which can slow down productivity. If you have time to check your phone or browse the web, then consider doing something else instead like a hobby or working out. Make sure that whatever you choose to do is something that allows peace of mind and relaxation.
7) Pay attention to your finances - Now is the right time of year to pay closer attention to your finances and set some goals for yourself over the next 12 months. Goal-setting will help keep things in perspective and allow you to make the most out of your situation while also allowing for progress each month. This will also give you the chance to reflect on what you've already done and how you can better yourself in the future.
8) Plan your day - Many people make plans and then don't follow through. You don't want this to happen, so plan out your days as best as possible. This will give you some direction and allow you to do things when they are supposed to be done instead of randomly adding things here and there throughout the week. This may seem like a hassle at first, but it will help keep you organized and on track during the busy weeks ahead.
9) Take time for yourself - Don't lose sight of why you're important in your own life and take time for yourself every day. Set aside a block of time every day that you'll use to do things that you enjoy and can't wait to get back to. Bonus points if you take some time for yourself even on the days when you don't want to. This will help ensure that you're doing what's best for your body and mind, which is ultimately what self care is all about.
10) Listen to music - Music is a great way to soothe your soul and take some of the pressure off of yourself during difficult times. Music has been shown in studies over the years to have a beneficial effect on many things in people's lives including stress levels, moods and emotions, cognitive functioning, as well as sleep quality. Listening to music can also make you more creative, which is essential when it comes to leading a creative lifestyle.
11) Watch a nature documentary - It doesn't have to be a documentary about animals or anything like that. You can find a documentary about the color of flowers, or even just the most beautiful sunset you've ever seen. Just watch any nature show and you're bound to find something that will have a positive impact on you.
12) Take good care of your skin - For starters, take some time every day to moisturize your skin and avoid over-exfoliating too much or using chemicals like retinol for anti-aging purposes. This helps keep your skin soft and smooth, which is essential for being more attractive as well as healthier. You can also switch up your routine from time-to-time to change what you're using on your face and body.
13) Drink more water - Many of us don't drink enough water every day, but this is a must when it comes to self care. Water plays a vital role in everything that happens inside the human body, so not drinking enough of it can have negative effects on weight loss, health and even moods. Aim to drink 64 ounces of water per day.
14) Go for therapy - Therapy is a great way to get in touch with your feelings and learn how to address the many challenges that life throws at you. Everyone is going through something, so don't think for a second that you're alone with your problems. If you haven't gone for therapy before, then now is the best time to try it out and see what it can do for you.
To sum it up
While self-care doesn't necessarily mean that you need to go to the spa or get a makeover, it does mean that you need to be more mindful of yourself. By taking care of yourself, you will be successful at home and in life. Self care can make a huge difference in your outlook and health over time, so don't neglect it any longer if it means improvement for you in the end.